For quite some time now the honeysuckle more often meets on garden sites. It is a beautiful and not whimsical bush which blossoms in May and fructifies at the beginning of summer. At the same time not everyone knows that fruits of this culture are very useful to an organism as have a set of minerals and vitamins which are very important for health in structure. Further we will in more detail understand all features of this bush and also we learn how to prepare fruits that they were the most tasty.
The honeysuckle has an appearance of a medium-sized bush which decorates a set of personal plots today. Reaches height no more than 2 m. Eat fruits which are presented in the form of berries of blue color and are covered with a weak gray raid.
From each bush age of 5-7 years it is possible to pick enough large berries to 5 kg. Their form usually oblong, but can differ slightly depending on a honeysuckle grade. The taste differs too, but always has a sour note. Fruits by right are considered as a well of useful substances.
They are frozen, dried up and also used in the course of preparation of various dishes and medicines. Wild-growing types of a honeysuckle yield bitterish fruits whereas cultural types always larger and sweet, and are still much more fragrant. There are such grades of a bush at fruits on which aroma are similar to a wild strawberry.
We advise to read about curative properties of berries of blueberry, cherry, cowberry, a mespilus, sweet cherry, a black mountain ash, hawthorn, dogrose, cranberry, cloudberries, a guelder-rose, a godzha, a sea-buckthorn, a cornel.
Berries of a honeysuckle are full valuable and useful substances. In them there are no proteins and fats, and carbohydrates though are available, but in very insignificant quantity. The basis of fruits of a plant is formed by glucose, a galactose and fructose. Caloric content of berries low — 30–40 kcal on 100 g.
Important! The fact that the indicator of level of maintenance of natural elements in honeysuckle fruits directly depends on climate and the area in which the bush grows is remarkable. So, in the conditions of hot and droughty climate of berry can be slightly bitterish, and sugars will be significantly more whereas at a humid climate the fruits have more vitamin C and monosaccharides.
Vitamins and minerals
The considered product differs in rich vitamin structure. Vitamins A, P, C and also group B elements — all of them are present at honeysuckle berries. As for ascorbic acid, its quantity practically does not concede in fruits of the discussed plant to a citrus.
In addition are present at berries of this bush:
- minerals: potassium, manganese, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, pine forest, barium, aluminum, iodine and silicon;
- organic acids;
- R-active phenolic substances;
- sugary substances: fructose, sucrose, glucose, galactose, etc.
Whether you know? In the nature contain for today about 250 species of a honeysuckle which grow practically on all Northern hemisphere. In our country 14 types are the most widespread.
Since old time the honeysuckle is used in traditional medicine. Berries, due to the rich structure, perfectly work for maintenance of work of the immune system. Thanks to antioxidants they are also capable to slow down aging of an organism. Often such fruits compare to goji berries and superfood.
- Thanks to vitamins P and C and also at the expense of berry potassium well influence warm activity.
- Fruits promote strengthening of capillaries and vessels.
- The product has diuretic effect therefore it can be used for soft removal of excess liquid from an organism that helps will get rid of hypostases and to lower pressure.
- Also the honeysuckle helps at a hypertension, an anemia and atherosclerosis, and still helps to get rid of a problem of frequent bleedings from a nose.
For prevention of atherosclerosis use: black mountain ash, chestnut honey, pecan, cottage cheese, hawthorn, sage, chicory, feijoa, sea-buckthorn oil, avocado, bee subpestilence and birch kidneys.
- Fresh fruits are used for the general strengthening of health and also for prevention of malaria and a scurvy.
- Berries of such plant well influence work of a gall bladder and liver.
- Physicians note antineoplastic characteristics of fruits of a honeysuckle as the complex of substances which are available in structure effectively works against cellular new growths, as helps with prevention of cancer.
- Are of the special value of berry of a honeysuckle for cosmetologists and dermatologists as they make salutary impact on skin. Experts advise to use juice of fruits 2–3 times a day in the presence of dermatitis and psoriasis. It is noted that literally a month later skin is almost completely purified.
At treatment of psoriasis folk remedies apply a mushroom of a chag, cashew, pink salt, a train, black caraway seeds, bear fat, honey with propolis, fir and hempseed oil.
- Not only berries, but also sprouts, leaves which can be used for preparation of curative infusions are useful. They are applied to treatment of a tonsillitis and in the presence of skin diseases.
Contraindications and harm
This plant is not some of those which have a set of contraindications. It is necessary to exclude a product from a diet only when there is gastritis with the increased acidity level. Also it is not necessary to use many berries as their large number (about a kilogram) can make headaches and sick for once.
Important! This plant causes an allergy in rare instances. Nevertheless strongly it is not necessary to be fond of berries, especially this rule concerns pregnant women and children. Using such berries the first time, too it is recommended to begin with a small portion.
It is known that even the most useful product can do harm if to use it in excessive quantities. The same can be told also about honeysuckle berries. Experts recommend to use in day 2–3 handfuls of such fruits are not more white. It is the best of all if it is not at one time food, and gradually.
Collecting and preparation of a honeysuckle
Preparation of leaves and flowers of a honeysuckle should be begun when the bush blossoms. The product is collected and then dried indoors which has to b_t it is closed from sunshine and at the same time it is good to be aired. To avoid formation of a mold, it is necessary to mix collecting from time to time.
Branches collect in the spring. They need to be cut and connected in bunches. Drying is carried out in the storeroom or on the attic. Bark is prepared at the beginning of spring too. Drying is conducted on a plate, but temperature has to be not above 40 °C.
Fruits of a honeysuckle need to be collected when they completely ripen. They can both be frozen, and to dry. The frozen berries remain same tasty and fragrant, as well as fresh, at the same time the content of useful substances in their structure too almost completely remains. From berries it is possible to make useful and tasty jam. Some hostesses prefer to fray fruits with sugar or to cook from them jelly. In any kind the fruits of a honeysuckle are an incomparable source of vitamins.
How to prepare
As it was already told earlier, honeysuckle fruits perfectly will be suitable for preparation for the winter. It is possible just to freeze them, and it is possible to make tasty jam which is rolled up in banks and very long time can be stored.
We offer recipes for jam from honeysuckle berries:
- 2 kg of fruits which need to be killed in the blender to pyureobrazny consistence are required. It is also possible to apply for this purpose a usual strainer by means of which berries need to be ground carefully. It is necessary to pour 2.5 kg of sugar into ready weight and to mix everything. The received mix needs to be put on fire and to warm up within 5–6 minutes until sugar completely is dissolved. It is very important that jam did not begin to boil! Hot weight needs to be poured on banks and to roll up, as usual.
- Also jam can be made without provarivaniye of berries. For this purpose it is necessary to take 1 kg of dried fruits, to crush them and to add 1.5 kg of sugar. Then carefully to mix, spread out everything in banks and to close covers. Such product can be stored in the fridge and to use at all seasons of the year.
Whether you know? The honeysuckle is the leader among berries by amount of the magnesium which is available in structure. Such useful element is very necessary to those people who play sports and also need strengthening of the nervous system.
The honeysuckle is such natural product which extraordinary large amount of vitamins and useful minerals contains. If there is an opportunity, then it is necessary to use berries of this plant, at the same time, of course, paying attention to contraindications.
Fruits are useful not only in a fresh form, but also in tinned. Jam will become excellent substitute of unhealthy sweets and will help to increase mood in the period of winter avitaminosis.