If many hostesses are familiar with buckwheat and rice, then it is possible to meet grain couscous in domestic kitchens much less often. Nevertheless, it possesses a huge reserve of useful substances, so, not only can, but also has to be used in food. Let's find out, than couscous and as it is correct to make grain is remarkable.
As raw materials for production of grain couscous serve the firm wheat, barley, rice, millet and even semolina processed in the certain way. In something the applied technology is similar to the technology used by production of pasta, here only in this case it is necessary to deal with very small products — 0.5-2 mm in the diameter (in the culinary purposes smaller grains — 1.2 mm in the diameter are usually used).
If as a basis for creation of the specified grain semolina, then it acts for a start sprinkle water then form the small grains which are sprinkled subsequently with dry flour or semolina of the received weight (the finished goods are in addition sifted through a sieve). If as a result of it there were very small grains which are freely taking off through a sieve, then they are sprinkled again with semolina and repeat all process.
The tradition of use of such grain came to us from Morocco where the dish under such name is considered national.
Whether you know? The dish couscous received such name from the term seksu that it in translation from Berber means well rolled. Besides traditional Morocco, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and a set of other countries of the East, this dish is not less popular in France, Italy and Israel today, and on Sicily every year even the holiday of couscous during which world famous cooks offer guests the culinary masterpieces from this grain is spent.
It is possible to judge advantage of any given product, first of all, proceeding from its chemical composition, influence of any given product will depend on the making elements. With couscous likewise therefore we suggest to get acquainted with the most important components of the mentioned grain.
Vitamins, together with micro and macrocells, are necessary for a human body for activization and maintenance of exchange processes. At couscous there is practically everything that is necessary, in particular group B vitamins among which there is Riboflavinum, folic acid, a pyridoxine.
Using couscous, together with vitamins B an organism also the useful mineral components presented by nickel, sodium, potassium, iron, copper, phosphorus, zinc, manganese get. At the same time, amino acids promote forming of all proteinaceous structures in a human body, and the organism is not capable to make some of them independently therefore it is so important to deliver them inside together with food.
Besides couscous, the most useful grain consider buckwheat, porridge, millet, rice, pearl barley, a yachka, corn grits.
The glycine, leucine, lysine, proline, arginine, asparaginic acid which are a part of couscous not only take part in creation of cellular membranes, but also are responsible for the power processes which are taking place in an organism. So, eating the dish of the same name, you supply yourself with the tetradecanew, palmitic and octadecanoic acids promoting regeneration and faster cell regeneration of different fabrics.
Nutrition value and caloric content of a product
In 100 g of this of a squash, unusual to us, only 376 kcal contain. At the same time 72.4 g of carbohydrates, 12.8 g of proteins, 0.6 g of fats are the share of the same 100 g, and the copper which is present at structure fills a quarter of standard daily rate of this element.
We study useful properties
As we already spoke earlier, grain couscous can be made of any kinds of cereals, but usually the part of raw materials is assigned to wheat. This option has a set of the most various useful properties from which It is necessary to distinguish the following:
- presence of B5 vitamin at a large number positively affects an organism tone, increases its protective functions, successfully fights constant fatigue, depressions and even promotes elimination of insomnia;
- phosphorus, potassium, copper, iron and the food fibers coming to an organism together with couscous normalize activity of a GIT, fixing a problem of locks and intensifying digestive processes;
- regular consumption of dishes from the described grain normalizes water-salt exchange;
- stimulation of work of a brain is noted;
- at the expense of the present potassium, muscle tissues of heart become stronger;
- high caloric content does couscous by an ideal dish for athletes, quickly sating an organism and allowing to keep sense of fulness for long time;
- at the frequent use the increase in level of hemoglobin in blood with simultaneous decrease in cholesterol is noted that very positively affects health of the person;
- high content of copper prevents emergence and development of diseases of joints, at the same time promoting the increased production of female sex hormones.
In addition, couscous is capable to prevent emergence of a gray hair and to protect the person from skin presenilation, and at the use in large numbers it brings a body into a tone and helps to get rid of insomnia. Agree, it is a lot of advantages.
Important! This grain perfectly approaches fish and seafood and also it can be used together with vegetables, fruit, meat, different nuts and spices.
Whether it is possible couscous
Singularity and exotic origin of couscous pushes many on quite logical question: and whether pregnant women, the feeding mothers and children can eat it. Let's find out it.
During pregnancy the female body is in great need in huge amount of useful substances, and considering existence in structure of couscous of such folic acid, important for the pregnant woman, it is worth thinking even more thoroughly of a possibility of its use in the menu. This component participates in process of creation of the nucleinic acids containing genetic information and helps to prevent emergence of various abnormal conditions of a fruit.
During pregnancy future mothers are forbidden to use many products, however small loafs, beet, the Beijing cabbage, dogrose broth, pine nuts, cowberry, an asparagus it is possible to use practically without fears.
In addition, folic acid positively affects formation of red blood cells and considerably is responsible for quality of blood and production of hormone of joy of serotonin. However you should not forget about the high caloric content of this product which on late terms can quite lead to a set of excess weight or even obesity. In a word, even all good has to be moderately.
Presence at couscous of vitamins and other useful components does it by very good option of a day diet and when feeding by a breast, but you should not exclude also a possibility of allergic reaction at the child. For this reason it is recommended to enter a product into the menu in the small portions that will also protect young mother from a set of extra kilos.
Undoubtedly, couscous — very healthy food for the kid, especially, if he already mastered other porridges made from cereals and containing wheat protein (for example, oat, wheat). The first feeding up with application of this porridge is recommended to be begun at six-month-old age, using at the same time a small amount of a product (for a start will be only several tea spoons enough). It is necessary to watch reaction of the kid to a new dish within 12-24 hours and if no symptoms of an allergy exist, it is possible to continue quietly periodic use of couscous for a feeding up.
Rules of the competent choice of a product
If you want to derive benefit from couscous, then it is necessary to treat responsibly a question of the choice of this grain, and that who for the first time faced this product and do not know what to pay attention to first of all, we advise to study recommendations below:
- always estimate a type of realization of couscous (usually it can be bought in the form of granules);
- track that the chosen option was made of firm grades of wheat or high-quality barley or rice;
- find on packing of designation of an expiration date and be convinced that goods still suitable (on average, storage time of such grain varies within 6-10 months of date of production);
- study the structure specified on packing: it should not include something except grain and water, otherwise it will be possible to doubt usefulness of a product quite reasonably;
- on packing of quality goods general information is always available to reading;
- usually the container for grain is made of paper: cardboard or usual;
- any damages of packing are inadmissible, let they and very small;
- packing with couscous anyway has to be tight that ensures safety of tastes of grain and its aroma;
- at an opportunity it is worth giving preference to the Arab products.
If you manage to find the goods conforming to all above-stated requirements, you can buy immediately it, and having brought home, pour for storage into glass capacity with a skintight cover. The cool, darkened place, far from pungent smells will be an optimal condition for storage. The period of storage in such conditions can reach up to one year.
Whether you know? For the first time mass production of couscous began in 1907 when in Algeria for this purpose constructed the special plant.
Because of considerable caloric content, many people doubt dietary properties of couscous, however there are also those which use it in the diets. It is known that the main part of structure of grain is occupied by proteins and complex carbohydrates which significantly increase porridge caloric content. However it does not mean at all that the dish cannot be used at diets, on the contrary, at the correct preparation and moderate consumption it is possible to achieve quite good results in weight reduction, at the same time having revitalized the organism.
We advise persons interested to lose weight to pay attention to the list of the most low-calorie products.
For example, for preparation of couscous in the dietary purposes you can use the double boiler with two tanks: place low-fat grades of meat in the lower part (for example, veal or chicken) in combination with carrot and onions, and top directly grain which when cooking is becoming impregnated with couples of meat with vegetables will borrow.
How to make couscous: step-by-step recipes with a photo
Let's consider several popular recipes for such dish, unusual to us, as couscous.
How to cook
Only grain, water and salt will be necessary for you for preparation of the most usual couscous, and liquid has to be exactly twice more than some grain.
Process of preparation of a dish in this case happens according to the following scenario:
- in a stewpan or in a small saucepan it is necessary to boil the amount of water measured in advance;
- then to remove capacity from fire and to pour grain, in passing well stirring;
- having covered, leave the squash to infuse within five minutes;
- after the specified time you receive ready, friable couscous which can be salted (to taste) or to add to it oil.
Alternatively you can make couscous-ptitim (in comparison with the previous option this grain differs in larger sizes). In this case the sequence of the performed operations following:
- prepare grain and water (two parts of liquid have to fall on 1 part of couscous), a stewpan or a small saucepan, salt;
- pour out the measured part of water in capacity and put on fire, previously having salted;
- after liquid begins to boil, in it pour out also couscous, constantly stirring slowly (unlike the previous option, ptity it is necessary to boil thoroughly, but not just to trouble);
- cook porridge on small fire within 15 minutes, periodically stirring slowly with it;
- in completion of preparation it is necessary only to add oil, and it is possible to serve the dish to a table.
Important! Both options are perfectly formed by means of special forms (it is possible for pastries) that can be used at original giving on a table.
If cooking of couscous seems to you too simple, then as quite good alternative option it is possible to prepare a dish together with vegetables. For a role of the last carrots (1 piece), sweet pepper (1 piece), onions (1 piece), green peas and broccoli (fresh or frozen) perfectly will approach in addition to which garlic and a piece of ginger will be ideal. Besides, on 1 glass of grain of couscous you need one more glass of broth, spice (salt, paprika, a curry, black pepper) and olive oil.
Process of use of all these products following:
- after washing and cleaning, all prepared vegetables need to be cut small pieces: onions — cubes, garlic — ringlets, pepper — small small squares (about 1х1 cm), carrots — smaller small squares — it is better to grate ginger on a small grater;
- we fry onions, garlic and carrots in a frying pan, we divide broccoli into smaller pieces;
- as soon as the first batch of vegetables slightly is fried, add the remained pepper, broccolis and peas seasoned with a curry pinch with addition of paprika and black pepper to it;
- vegetables have to be stewed on small fire within 5 minutes, but not to too soft state;
- then it is necessary to add a glass of the made broth (it is possible chicken or vegetable) and the crushed ginger to a frying pan;
Important! It is better to salt vegetables at the end of preparation when it is precisely known that salt broth insufficiently.
- as soon as broccoli and carrot a little are softened, from above on vegetables it will be possible to pour out the prepared glass of grain, evenly distributing it on all surface of a frying pan;
- switch off a plate, close a dish a cover and allow it to infuse within five minutes after which it is necessary to mix a dish (that all grain evenly became impregnated), to add olive oil and to salt to taste.
You can serve this dish to a table both in an independent look, and as addition to meat and fish together with which it seems to even more tasty.
Even the most harmless by sight grain, under certain circumstances, nevertheless is capable to do much harm to a human body, especially, if he did not know about it earlier. Therefore, there is nothing surprising that at all the advantage couscous is capable to do harm to the people suffering from individual intolerance of wheat and other cereals and also those women who adhere to a strict diet.
In the latter case the dish can be applied only in case of very exact and correct calculation of calories, but even so it is used only by those who do not seek to lose many extra kilos. Couscous will bring all rest a maximum of benefit and will not be able to do much harm to an organism in any way.
Useful grain from wheat
Couscous — not the only grain on a wheaten basis differing in a rich reserve of vitamins and minerals. Will be not less useful bulgur and semolina porridge, habitual for us. Let's understand features of these products.
In spite of the fact that domestic hostesses heard about it a little, in east countries bulgur is known practically in any city or the small settlement as acts as one of the main garnishes. In fact, this grain — this wheat which gathering happened during its dairy maturity. Then it is correctly dried, cleaned and crushed. The appearance of a bulgur is very similar to corn grits which at preparation increases almost three times (in terms of economy it is very favorable feature).
If to speak about advantage of a bulgur, then grain keeps all advantage of wheat, at it there are vitamins of group B (B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B9), vitamins E, To, and together with them beta carotene, phosphorus, selenium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, potassium, sodium, calcium and some other. In 100 g of dry grain there are 342 kcal.
Learn, than it is useful and how to make grain bulgur.
At frequent use this squash extremely positively affects functioning of nervous system of the person to which group B vitamins are especially valuable. At the same time, the present mineral salts improve exchange processes, doing an integument and hair the healthiest. Bulgur is well acquired and does not create feeling of weight in a stomach thanks to what it can be considered very useful to the athletes and people who are engaged in hard physical activity. Such garnish is perfectly combined with meat, fish and vegetable dishes, doing them it is more tasty and more useful.
Whether you know? It is considered that were engaged in preparation of a bulgur 4000 years ago long before people began to bake bread.
In fact, so wheat semolina, as well as all mentioned unless it passed higher level of clarification and differs in a high milling. The small size of granules (only 0.25-0.75 mm) allows to reduce preparation time of porridge that in some cases is simply invaluable. Semolina can be produced from firm wheat (it is considered more useful), soft cereals or mix of these types. It is possible to learn about a type of the acquired product from designations on packing: T — a rough grinding, M — soft wheat (most known option in the domestic market) and TM — the mixed grain. What important is in semolina and than it is useful? First of all, this product gives to an organism sense of fulness (320-350 kcal are the share of 100 g of dry grain) for long time, and the rich structure brings benefit to many bodies and systems. However at the same time not everything is so unambiguous. There is an opinion that the phytin which is present at grain has positive impact on a conclusion from an organism of radioactive elements (in particular, caesium), but, at the same time, gradually washes away a considerable part of calcium from an organism.
We advise to learn, than semolina is useful and how to make pie from this grain.
Moreover, at semolina there is a lot of starch that can complicate digestive processes at consumption of this grain by the child. Though at advanced age of a decoy, on the contrary, will bring to the person much more benefit, allowing to prevent a hyper mineralization of sheaves. In semolina there is not enough cellulose (about 0.2% for 100 g), so, it will be well acquired and will not begin to irritate bodies of digestive system — a great option for people who are restored after problems with a GIT. In other words, not only semolina, but also other wheaten grain is simply necessary for our organism, and everything that is necessary for prevention of undesirable consequences of their use, is sense of proportion and observance of a food allowance. It concerns also the above couscous.