Godetion is the annual grassy plant from South California called in honor of the botanist Ts. Gode. He studied this flower, has described it, was engaged in selection and could achieve noticeable improvement and hybridization. Now in the world there are more than 20 types of godetion and its hybrids.
Godetion – plant bushy, with compact root which does not expand neither deep into, nor in breadth, with direct stalk, oblong leaves and flowers, in form similar to cups with diameter up to 10 cm. The size and color of godetion depend on look, flowers are white, purple, pink or peach. Shades meet both monophonic, and combined. Godetion flowers resemble azalea superficially.
Popular grades and hybrids
The following belongs to the most known grades of godetion:
- Grandiflora – has this appearance large, to 10 cm in the diameter, flowers of white, crimson or red color. The compact bush, volume, grows to 40 cm in height. Blossoms from July to October.
- The monarch is early-flowering grade, the bush grows to 30 cm, flowers one - and two-color coloring, kolokolchaty. The bush turns out sprawling, quite often gains spherical shape, is abundant is covered in flowers.
- Waiser Shvann – godetion which grows in branched bush up to 35 cm high, with the white, cup-shaped, pretty flowers having 6 cm diameter.
- Charming godetion – look which blossoms slightly less than others: from July to September. Has fragile, graceful stalks and flowers of all shades of red and lilac color.
- The terry godetion is hybrid of large-flowered godetion, in the nature there is no such plant. It has 4 grades: Bride, Brilliant, Rembrandt and Sherwood. Grades differ in color: The bride has white flowers with pink shade, and Brilliant – bright red with white impregnations, Rembrandt has pink flowers with bright red spot on each lobe, and Sherwood has saturated pink lobes brightening to the center. But unites all types of such godetion that flowers at them terry, with the wavy, cut-up on edge lobes.
- Oranzh Rhum is grade with the high bushes reaching 50 cm in height. Its brown-green escapes, and flowers of red-orange color, up to 5 cm in the diameter.
Regardless of grade, make multiple copies godetion seeds which should be collected after the end of the period of blossoming, i.e. in September or October. Seeds is required to be got from boxes and to dry – it will prepare them for storage.
Landing, leaving and diseases
It is possible to sit down godetion on the prepared site of the open ground or to grow up seedling for further change in soil.
Crops on seedling should be begun in March or April: to mix godetion seeds with sand, to put to the nutritious soil, to powder from above with the peat mixed with the earth and to cover with film. In 10-12 days film it is necessary to remove, seat sprouts on pots – 2-3 pieces in everyone. And then to wait for suitable weather for change.
Before landing to the open ground, it is necessary to choose the subacidic, loamy site open for sunlight. To fertilize this place humus, ashes, potash or phosphoric additives, and after to dig over the site, to loosen the earth, it is abundant it to water and to make holes to 5 cm in depth. Holes to arrange at distance of 25 cm from each other. Saplings to prikopat and zamulchirovat.
If on the open ground seeds are sown, then it is not necessary to do holes. There are enough grooves, and after germination of godetion, sprouts should be thinned out.
Godetion – plant to which leaving is required throughout all season. Watering has to be regular, once in 3 weeks fertilizing by mineral fertilizers is necessary.
The soil around godetion needs to be loosened regularly and to stimulate more magnificent blossoming, it is necessary to pinch off new ovaries constantly. Tall grades without fail need support.
Godetion is vulnerable to such diseases as rust, root decay, fungal diseases and peronosporoz. All this practically does not respond to treatment, and it is possible to make only the following:
- prior to blossoming to process bushes fungicides;
- to remove and utilize sick plants.
As prevention serves disinfecting of seeds before crops: for hour they should be killed in poorly concentrated solution of margantsovokisly potassium.