Omshanik is room which serves for wintering of bees. It has to be warm, protect from wind, cold, noise. If bees winter in such conditions, they eat for winter of honey less. Today many beekeepers, claim that the wintering of bees takes place in zimovnik better, than at liberty. There are omshanik of three types: elevated, underground and semi-underground. Underground omshanik. Already the name says that they are in the earth, only the ceiling is located on earth surface. Semi-underground are deepened to the earth on 1 meter.
1. Choose the dry sublime place, correctly calculate its internal volume, considering quantity of bees. If the room is small, then in omshanik the humidity will increase, so the mold will appear. Omshanik where the ventilation system is thought over meet.
2. For underground omshanik dig out hole of 2 meters in depth and 3.5 x 2.5 m in size, impose it with brick or keramzitobloka. Some beekeepers do felling of bar, sheathe plywood or polyfoam. It is necessary to raise and close roof a little plates 4 cm thick and to cover with earth. But it is necessary to make ventilation, exhaust pipe. To establish door and racks.
3. That atmospheric moisture did not get inside, make by-pass surface water catchment at distance of 1 meter. Some beekeepers install heaters. In the fall the room is well aired, bleached, thought over how to secure bees against mice. Dry beehives bring (without roofs and warming) after the first frosts and display on racks. In omshanik it has to be always silent and dark. The best temperature in omshanik from 0 to 3 is considered?.
4. If the climate warm, in the winter temperature does not fall lower than-18? C, such reliable omshanik it is not necessary to build. When bees winter on apiary, they develop in the spring better, are ill less and make honey more. And to protect apiary from precipitation and winds, it is possible to place beehives in the shed. If it is absent, then make the screens closing beehives from wind. During the wintering you watch whether rodents approach beehive, whether noise disturbs bees.
5. At thaw it is necessary to check that the roof was not damp, not to allow education on roof surface of ice crust which complicates airing of beehive. Somewhere to the middle of February begin to listen beehive. If everything proceeds normally, then in beehive very silent, hardly distinguishable noise. If noise loud, but equal, means to bees stuffy or hot.
6. Increase letkovy opening. Bees have made very sharp noise, so in beehive there is movement of air, it is necessary to cover beehive from wind. Very loud noise and vybryzgivaniye of bees from notch, says that to bees it is close, there is not enough water or forage. Hungry bees rustle as autumn leaves, very quietly. Feed up them mix of liquid honey and icing sugar. If the uterus, then noise at bees plaintive was gone. That bees have wintered well, it is necessary take care of it even in the summer. In advance prepare the apiary for wintering.