In Russian the sort is a morphological indicator of inflected parts of speech. To define this grammatical category at nouns can be difficult if the word of foreign-language origin and does not incline. Dictionaries help to cope with difficulties. Adjectives, numerals, pronouns, participles, verbs in singular change on childbirth.
1. The word has to belong surely to an independent part of speech and change. The morphological indicator of noun gender is constant, is defined in the only thing and plural. It is necessary to consider change of independent words on childbirth more often (names need to be added with verbs and participles).
2. To nouns there correspond three sorts: women's, men's and average (apple-tree, poplar, silver). The termination of the Nominative case of singular helps to define the relation to a certain sort. In language the words calling qualities of people (squabbler, the sloven, the crybaby, the meek creature) meet. Quality accessory or male helps to establish to the person of women's concrete characteristic. The borrowed indeclinable names, as a rule, are ranked as a neutral gender (the highway, a board, an interview), sometimes - men's (a penalty, coffee) and women's (salami, the avenue). The correlative concept forms a basis of definition of a sort of the foreign-language place name (Tokyo – the city, Congo – the state or the river, Capri - the island). The basic word usually is the basis of establishment of patrimonial sign of abbreviations (MSU – the university, the UN – the organization, the NPP - the station).
3. For adjectives and participles in singular the sort is a grammatical indicator which directly depends on the defined word (ridiculous joke, the smiling girl, the flying by cloud).
4. Ordinal numerals the building and properties remind adjectives (twentieth kilometer, the seventeenth minute, the nineteenth century). Two collective cardinal numbers have inflectional patrimonial category (average and men's – both windows, the student; women's – both girlfriends).
5. Grammatical properties of pronouns are correlative with personalized parts of speech. The 3rd person has constant sign of a sort (it, it, it). The school program avoids a question of presence of similar category at personal pronouns I, you. The linguistic science ranks them as the general sort. Interrogative pronouns are related to a men's and neutral gender (that). Other categories formed from them will have the same patrimonial compliance (Nobody came. Something happened). The changeable indicator is inherent in index, possesive and other pronouns adjectives.
6. Only the form of singular of past tense demonstrates presence of a masculine, feminine or neutral gender at verbs. The word subject connected with complete action and the termination help to define correctly necessary property (the lightning sparkled, the thunder rattled, the sky darkened).