Hydrogen is the first element of the table of Mendeleyev. It represents itself(himself) colourless gas. It is widely applied in the chemical and food industry (hydrogenation of various connections) and also as a component of rocket fuel. Hydrogen is very perspective as fuel for cars as it at combustion does not pollute the environment.
It is required to you
- - reactionary capacity (it is the best of all – a flat-bottomed conic flask);
- - the rubber stopper which is densely closing a flask mouth with the curved glass tube which is passed through it;
- - capacity for collecting hydrogen (test tube);
- - the capacity filled with water ("hydrolock");
- - calcium piece.
1. In the industry hydrogen is received mainly by reaction of water vapor with the heated carbon (coke), electrolysis of solution of chloride sodium, etc. In laboratories it can be received in many ways.
2. The test tube where hydrogen gathers, has to be absolutely whole, even the slightest crack is inadmissible! Before making experiment with the smoldering splinter, better for precaution wind a test tube with dense fabric.
3. Pour into a flat-bottomed flask a little water, throw into it a small piece of calcium and immediately densely close a stopper. Curved "knee" of the tube passing through a stopper has to be in the container with water "hydrolock", and the tube tip - to act a little over a water surface. Quickly cover this tip with the test tube turned top by a bottom where hydrogen will gather (the edge of a test tube has to be in water).
4. When reaction in a flask ends, it is necessary to cork quickly a test tube skintight, still holding its top a bottom that lighter hydrogen did not disappear. Better make it, continuing to keep its edge under water.
5. To show that hydrogen is received, pull out a stopper and bring the smoldering splinter to edge of a test tube. Characteristic cotton will be distributed.