The moon since ancient times was connected for the person with mystery. The moonlight was a riddle too. But knowledge of how the Moon shines and why it differently proves in the sky at different times day is available to modern people.
1. The Moon does not radiate light as is a cold celestial body: the surface of the Moon which is not lit with the Sun has temperature about -200 °C. It only reflects about seven percent of the beams of the Sun getting on it - the heated star possessing an intensive luminescence. Moonlight brightness, in comparison with solar, is less several times. If the Sun suddenly ceased to shine, then and the Moon would plunge in eternal night. And if the Moon possessed a smooth surface, it would be almost same bright as the Sun.
2. Usually people can see with the naked eye the Moon only in the evening and at night, i.e. in night-time. In fact, it reflects sunlight and in the afternoon, but against the background of the light sky it is difficult to notice it. Though in some days, for example, in cloudy weather, it can be shown in the sky more accurately.
3. Sometimes early in the morning or in the evening when sunlight is not so intensive, it is possible to see in the sky at the same time the Sun and the Moon. It occurs in intermediate phases of the Moon.
4. While the Moon rotates around Earth, its different parts are lit with the Sun. For this reason there is a so-called lunar cycle and say that the Moon grows or decreases. In certain days of month the people see all surface of the Moon lit (full Moon), and in other days - partially lit surface (month). Distinguish such phases of the Moon as a new moon, the young Moon, a quarter, a full moon. The full cycle takes 29.5 days. When the Sun lights a reverse side of the Moon, its party turned to Earth - dark and therefore it is not visible to the person.
5. When the Moon gets to Earth shadow, sunshine of its surface do not reach therefore the night star is not visible, - it is called a lunar eclipse. However there is such phenomenon seldom.
6. Sometimes it is possible to hear about a so-called dark side of the Moon. It does not mean at all that its any party is not capable to reflect light. This expression only belongs to side of the Moon opposite to that by which it is constantly turned to the planet Earth. Images of this reverse side can be watched on TV and on the Internet thanks to an invention mankind of artificial satellites.