Sauerkraut in old times was prepared till fall the whole tubs, eaten then all winter, crackling fragrant vitamin preparation under potato in a uniform from zakopchenny cast iron. Recipes from the grandmother passed to mom and so around, being supplemented with various ingredients - carrots, a cranberry, honey, sugar, vinegar. However the classical recipe without excess additives was considered as the most tasty. Following its recommendations, it is possible to stock up without efforts for the winter with the tasty sauerkraut useful to all family.
It is required to you
- - 3 kg of cabbage of a winter grade suitable for preparation for the future;
- - 300 g is fresher than some carrots;
- - 2 l of water (it is better not from under the crane, and filtered);
- - 2 tablespoons of sugar;
- - 2 tablespoons of salt;
- - bay leaf and ground black pepper - at will.
1. Clean cabbage from a dirty topmost leaves, examine a head of cabbage on lack of slugs, decayed. Cut on 2 half, remove cabbage stump. On a cutting board to chop a usual or special knife that neither the really long, nor the thick straws turned out.
2. Wash up carrots from dirt, peel. By means of a large grater to rub in a basin, then hands to mix with the prepared cabbage. It is necessary ""pozhamkat"" better that juice was squeezed out.
3. Add to weight bay leaf, at will - a sprinkling pepper or peas. In barrels now nobody makes sour cabbage therefore to shift not in a tub, and in 3-liter jars, strongly stamping hands.
4. Prepare a brine for filling in a 2-liter jar, having mixed water, salt and sugar, having waited for their dissolution. Fill in with this liquid cabbage to the brim. Cups need to be put in plates or square containers as in process of fermentation a little brine will follow.
5. Leave for three days in the room (on a floor or on a table), without closing covers. In the morning and ""puncture"" with a knife cabbage in the evening, lowering an edge in bank to the bottom in 5-6 places. It will make preparation crunchy as thanks to punctures from banks there will be an excess gas.
6. In 3 days, liquid will cease to leak, and on a surface there will be small bubbles, weight will a little dim. It means that process of fermentation is completed, and sauerkraut is ready. It was necessary to close it clean and dense kapron covers, to transfer to an underground or the basement.