Brass — very popular material for production of various decorative products. It is much cheaper than bronze. Quite often do candlesticks, furniture fittings, small sculpture which elegantly looks in interior of the brass representing copper alloy with zinc. Usually these things are stylized semi-antique. However externally new brass things very strongly differ from really ancient. On them there is no oxide layer giving to products special elegance and mysteriousness.
It is required to you
- - brass product;
- - gasoline;
- - turpentine;
- - sawdust;
- - soft cotton rags;
- - woolen fabric or felt;
- - carbonic copper;
- - carbonic ammonium;
- - iron nitrate;
- - ammonia solution;
- - sodium thiosulphate;
- - water;
- - glass laboratory glassware;
- - measured graduated cylinder;
- - laboratory or pharmaceutical scales with sets of weights.
1. The brass product can be tinted to the necessary extent of blackening of surface in the following way. Mix 60 g of carbonic copper from 500 ml of ammonia solution. Pour in solution in vessel in which there is 1 l of the distilled water. Once again mix and submerge the product which was previously fat-free by gasoline in the turned-out structure. Lower it face up. Process of blackening (oxygenating) needs to be controlled visually.
2. On reaching the necessary coloring get subject and wash out it in flowing cold water. Dry up it in sawdust. If it is necessary, slightly for zapoliruyta the acting parts of relief piece of rigid fabric. Wipe finished product with turpentine and again dry up it. For retention of color it is possible to cover subject with transparent lacquer.
3. The brass product can be painted also in dark brown color. Dissolve 10 g of nitrate of iron in 1 l of water. As well as in the previous case, wipe subject with gasoline, dry up and lower in vessel with solution. You hold it there till the moment when it is painted in right color. Act just as in the first case further.
4. If you want to give to brass henna-red color, apply such structure. Dissolve 6 g of nitrate of iron and 6 g of thiosulphate of sodium in 100 ml of water. Degrease product, dry up in sawdust, submerge in vessel with solution and wait until it gets the necessary shade. Dry up also to zapoliruyta
5. It is possible to give to brass product and slightly greenish color making it similar to ancient bronze. It is the best of all to do it with more dark brass alloys having the bigger content of copper. Take for solution 10 ml of ammonia solution, 30 g of carbonic ammonium, 240 g of water. In this solution the subject can be held till 8-10 o'clock, constantly controlling extent of coloring. After drying of product on air the process can be repeated, it will strengthen coloring.