Pumpkins grow up practically worldwide – in various weather patterns. This berry (yes, pumpkin – not vegetable!) it is unpretentious, however there are some features of cultivation of pumpkin in our corner of the world. So, for example, is not necessary as in warmer places to place seeds at once in soil.
It is required to you
- - pumpkin seeds;
- - peat pots;
- - gauze;
- - fertilizing;
- - polyethylene film;
- - manure;
- - humus;
- - compost.
1. Pumpkin sunflower seeds should be put in solution of complex mineral fertilizing for day, and then to wash with warm water, to dry up on gauze and to place for 5 hours in the fridge (not in the freezer!).
2. At first seeds should be placed in special peat pots with soil mix for seedling. Before emergence of shoots it is necessary to cover pots with polyethylene layer. Seeds have to sprout at temperature not lower than 15 degrees. Only in 20–25 days after emergence of shoots, pumpkin can be planted on bed. Most effective to do it at the end of May or the beginning of June.
3. On kitchen garden pumpkin should be placed from South side of wall or fence. There to plants will damage less morning cold as the walls which are warmed up in the afternoon or fencing give heat at night, creating favorable microclimate. In other cases it is necessary to close for the night beds with pumpkins film.
4. On crude and heavy clay soils and also on sour soils, pumpkin grows badly. The plant most of all suits well warmed up easy soil with deep arable layer. On similar sites of pumpkin of large-fruited grades grow really huge.
5. It is the best of all to plant sprouts directly in humus, manure or compost heap (pumpkin needs many nutrients) and if it is not possible, then it is worth feeding up at least the plants moved to soil dung water.
6. In holes plant two plants on depth about four centimeters. Poles in the earth should be done at distance of one and a half meters from each other that pumpkin lashes freely extended in different directions. After landing of plant it is abundant water.